Life with Braces
| Types of Braces
| Braces Diagram
| Brace Painter
| Types of Appliances
| Color Your Retainer
- Wear your retainers full time, until the doctor instructs otherwise.
- Take your retainers out when eating… and always put retainers in their case! (Most appliances are lost in school lunch rooms or restaurants.)
- Clean retainers thoroughly once a day with a toothbrush and soapy water or toothpaste. Use warm but not hot water. Brushing retainers removes the plaque, and eliminates odors. Efferdent® or other orthodontic appliance cleaners can be used, but do not take the place of brushing.
- When retainers are not in your mouth they should ALWAYS be in a retainer case. Pets love to chew on them!
- Initially, you may find it difficult to speak. Practice speaking, reading, or singing out loud to get used to them faster.
- Retainers are breakable, so treat them with care. If retainers are lost or broken call us immediately. You don't want your teeth to move.
- If you have any questions or concerns about your retainers, or your retainers need adjusting, call us. Do not try to adjust them yourself.
- Always bring your retainers to your appointments.
- Retainer replacement is expensive… with proper care they will last for years!
- Remove retainers when swimming.
- Keep retainers away from hot or boiling water, hot car dashboards, pockets, the washing machine, microwaves and napkins.
Back to top